Sunday, July 29, 2007

TAO - Authentic Asian Cuisine

I was skeptical of TAO on my first visit. I read about a lot of unpleasant thing about them prior to my visit. Surprisingly, it turned out not bad at all. Apparently they have two sessions for dinner - one at 5.30 and the other at 8.15 pm. We arrived at 7 pm and was told we had to leave by 8.15 pm if we were to sit inside. After getting assurance on the timeliness of their service, we agreed to leave at 8.15pm!

The a-la carte prices are way way sky high and it's cheaper to go with the Eat All you Can Eat buffet at only RM 45 ++.


Tuna Tataki (A la carte - RM 15) - Soaked tuna fish soaked in vinegar, sesame seeds, seaweed and benito shavings. This dish is simply superb and we had 2 servings of it!


Steamed Unagi - hmm...I did not sampled this dish but according to my other half, it's only so - so and the dish came with a lot of cabbage! I ain't see no unagi!


Motoyaki Scallop (Ala carte - RM 20) hhmm...what shall I say about this dish??it's uumm...ok i guess but we ordered 4 servings of it! The sauce on the scallops tasted slightly like thousand island and some of the scallops were odd shaped - weird!


Crabmeat with cheese (Alacarte - RM 10) This is also an interesting dish..when they waitress placed it on our table, the basket is so big but it has only 4 miserable pieces of 'crabmeat' with cheese. I saw/tasted no crabmeat and the cheese is cream cheese. Tasted abit weird though..another so - so dish.



I have no idea what this dish is called but it was recommended by the waitress. She told us, the fish is full of eggs! The dish came with 3 fish and the more I ate it..I felt so guilty! The fish is really literally filled with millions of unhatched eggs and it made me feel like a murderer! Anyhow, the fish is a little fishy.. but those that enjoy fish eggs..this is the dish for YOU!


It's not possible to have Japanese food without sashimi and the Deluxe Sashimi (Alacarte - RM 35) - Only I ate the sashimi and I ordered 2 plates. it comes with 2 slices of salmon, tuna, octopus and some other fish! not bad but after my second plate I hit my limit of raw fish - this is very surprising.


Yakitori (Ala carte - RM 10) - This Japanese satay is not the nicest I've eaten and there were peices of chicken skin! This yakitori loose hands down to Tori-Q of Singapore


Kushi Yaki (Ala carte - Rm 12) - This is seafood satay and it has squid, fish and bell peppers! Another so - so dish


Spider Rolls aka Soft shell crab sushi! - This dish is quite nice but I must say comparatively with the other dishes, there are a lot of rice involved - I think it's supposed to make you full quickly.


General chicken (Alacarte - RM 12) Initially we think we didn't ordered this dish but we were glad it came coz it's by far the best chicken dish here! I don't know what sauce it is but it's kinda sweet and we ordered 2 servings - we just couldn't help ourselves!


Schezuan Spicy & Sour Soup ( Alacarte - RM 6) - This is the dish not to order next time..it's not spicy nor sour and I think the Oriental Soup from Campbell is way better!

Other than the dishes above, we did have grilled salmon, grilled saba(butter fish), Taiwanese Mantis Prawns (deep fried with peanuts and sauce) The grilled fish and mantis prawns are great but I forgot to kae a pic coz it was too good!!hhehehe


There is also free dessert, Ice Cream or dessert of the day. When I asked what type of ice cream, the waitress simply answerd honey dew sago - what the....is it possible?!?! i thought she heard wrongly. Anyways I ordered and I ate 2 scoops in the end. It was refreshing and yummy

All in all, I would go back to Tao with more friends coz I have yet to sample more food!!

No comments: